Can I, as an heir of my mother’s will, get full financial disclosure from my sister who was POA?

Q: Mother had dementia and agreed to my sister being POA. I believe money is missing and was misused during the required Medicaid spend down. I went to original consultation with elder care attorney, but my sister fired him, without my knowledge. The new attorney did Medicaid paperwork but neither attorney nor my sister will share details with me. Based on my knowledge of assets at beginning of illness, mom had about $210k of assets, Medicaid summary shows $168.5k of spending (with $55k spent on groceries in 2 years! and other questionable expenses). Neither the original assets or spending includes 30 months of approximately $45k in social security or stock dividends. Do I have a legal right to bank statements and other financial information to do my own audit? If so, how can I get this info? (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: A party of interest, which you would be as an heir, can petition the court for an accounting of all monies spent by an Agent while serving under a POA. The accounting can be for the period while the Principal is alive or after the death of the Principal. If your suspicions have merit, you can petition the court to ask her to produce a full accounting. It will go better if you have an attorney handle this for you.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.