Can I divorce my husband who is in prison in PA?

Q: I want to divorce my husband, we got married while he has been incarcerated. We have never lived together and have never consummated the marriage. We both agreed to the divorce. He nor I will contest it. Is there an easy way to do this?

A: A no-fault uncontested divorce is usually easy, as long as he can accept service of documents where he is living and can return mail. If you don’t feel confident in doing it yourself, which most people don’t, shop around for a good price from attorneys. If you are indigent, or under a certain income level, you may seek help from Neighborhood Legal Services or from the Allegheny County Bar Association indigent divorce program.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.