Can I get back child support?

Q: Can I now, as an adult, collect the back child support my father owes my mother? I was told it was possible, and it would really help my situation. (Westview, PA)

A: She is the party of interest, not you, so she can bring the claim. You can help her do it, or if she signs a Power of Attorney to you for this purpose, you can. It is not easy to do, especially if he lives in another state. Even if you have no trouble reducing the support arrears to a judgment, you still need to successfully execute on his property to have any hope of payment. Finding his property and executing on it, is usually the most difficult part of the process. I would go to the Allegheny County Family Division at 440 Ross Street in Downtown Pittsburgh and see what you can learn on your own. You may also want the help of an experienced family attorney.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.