Can someone plead an inconsistent theory in PA?

Q: I was served with a complaint which had several counts. How and where can I find out about inconsistent theories in a pleading? I must file an answer in 20 days. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: In civil law, it is common to plead alternate causes of action in the alternative. Go to the Rules of Civil Procedure, Pleadings in title 42. For example, someone might include a count for breach of contract but in case they lose that argument they may also plead assumsit or quantum meruit in the alternative.


If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.