Do I plead guilty to underage drinking?

Q: I got papers in the mail saying I am being charged with 6308 Purchase, Consumption, Transportation of Alcoholic Beverage By A Minor. It’s says it is a fine and a court date. If I plead guilty and pay the fine, do I have to go to the court date and will I have anything else other then the fine?

A: Don’t check the guilty box. Plead not guilty and send the required funds in. Many magistrates offer a first time offenders program whereby you attend a class and get the charge dismissed. If this is not a certainty, hire a lawyer to push the issue. If you plead guilty on your own, you will receive a summary conviction on your record for 5 years and a 6 months driver’s license suspension.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.