Do we need a Power of Attorney?

Q: My sister and I are taking care of our elderly mother who is 88 years old. She no longer can take care of herself we are on her bank account. We are on her will to take care of her needs when she passes. We are wondering if we need a power of attorney to take care of any other things that come up. (North Versailles, PA)

A: If your mother trusts you and your sister and your mother is competent it would be beneficial for her to have a General Durable Power of Attorney and a Medical Power of Attorney drafted by an experienced Estate attorney. With the General Durable Power of Attorney document, you can do a multitude of tasks for your mother beyond banking. I would make an appointment to discuss her needs with a lawyer.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.