How can I get copies of my expungement papers if I lost them?

Q: How does someone go about getting a copy of past (few years old) expungement orders after losing my personal copy? The expungements were completed without counsel so I don’t have the option of going to an attorney’s files. Does the court records or DA’s office keep the order on file or do they destroy it with the case files? Particularly in Allegheny County, PA.

A: If there was an expungement order, your records may have been destroyed by the Department of Court Records. Call them and ask. They may keep a copy of the order in their own file which is not a public record or direct you to the DA, who may also keep a copy.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.