How do I hold POA uncle accountable for my mom’s money?

Q: My mom had a will and trust. My uncle had power of attorney over her and he went on a power trip. I know he had some bank accounts in his and her names on that were considered part of my mom’s estate and is he accountable for the bank accounts. If so, how do I go about getting him to be accountable and showing receipts for his withdrawals of the bank accounts during his time of power of attorney. During that time, he filed a restraining order against me, my mother’s only child. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: You can ask him for an accounting of all bank statements and receipts, but it sounds like that is not going to happen. The correct legal procedure needed to hold an Agent on a Power of Attorney accountable is to file a petition in probate court asking for an accounting of all expenditures and deposits. I would not try this on my own if I were you. You should consult with an attorney.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.