I live in Florida but am an Executor in PA


Q: I live in Florida and am executor for a will in probate in PA, Allegheny County. Do I need a lawyer licensed in both states to help me file tax papers. (Bradenton, FLA)

A: The state where the decedent had residency, is the state where the estate must be opened. If all of the property is in PA, a NJ lawyer may set up an estate in PA. For convenience, depending on the local PA law, you may be able to be sworn in as executor in the FLA probate court, to save some travel time. The FLA probate court then certifies the paperwork then sends your papers to the PA probate court. The PA probate court then admits them and certifies you as executor. If there is property in FLA, you may need to have a lawyer file for an ancillary estate in FLA, to handle the FLA property. I would consult with the PA lawyer first.


If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.