If my mother is in a nursing home can she change power of attorney?

Q: My mother is in a nursing home until she gets better with cellulitis. She wants to change her power of attorney to name me instead of my sister. Is she able to do that while being in a nursing home? Thank you. (Bridgeville, PA)

A: If she is mentally competent, absolutely. If her competency is not certain, you can ask her doctor if he would give an opinion. Also, the lawyer you hire to prepare the Power of Attorney can assess her competency before preparing the document. This should be your mother’s idea and not your idea.


If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.