If nursing home gets guardianship for mom will I have to move out of the house?

Q: Nursing home is applying for guardianship of my elderly mom. If they win will I have to move out of the house that both mom and I own as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. Will they force me to move out to sell the house to pay nursing home bill?

A: You need to contact an elder law attorney asap. If you feel you can handle being Guardian, you should file through an attorney. An attorney can advise you on this and how to protect that home from a potential Medicaid claim which could arise down the road. If you have been living in the home as mom’s caretaker you may be able to keep it for yourself.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.