POA for Aging Mother

Q.           A year ago my mom fell and broke her femur, I also think there is more health issues. She cannot live alone anymore. I’ve been with her seven months it was to be one month only, she doesn’t want a nurse and she doesn’t want to sell her home. I have my own family to go home to, I need help please. I don’t know what to do anymore she is being very selfish and uncaring of me and my family. she wants what she wants. Can you please help me.

A.            I would consult with a local elder law attorney. You have no obligation to take on such a role, especially if it is detrimental to your health. Dealing with aging parents can be frustrating, time consuming and can cause stress. You can call the Department of Aging for assistance, but that may not be the best answer. If she is competent, you could get a Power of Attorney from her and make decisions that are in her best interest. For example, you could hire in home care at first to see how that works before moving her into an assisted living situation.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.