What form do I use?

Q: What form would I use to request outpatient treatment for my father who is incompetent?

A: More information is needed to fully advise you. However, most people who need to act on behalf of another person, require a Power of Attorney. However, if the person is not competent to sign one, this will not work. In that situation you may need to become his legal guardian through a court proceeding. If a service provider will act on your request without either because you are next of kin, you may not need to be guardian for that specific purpose. Ultimately however, you may need to be appointed as his guardian.