Tag Archives: EWOC

Will ex do jail time for assault while on probation for Endangering the Welfare of a Minor?

Q: My X-wife is on probation for Endangering the Welfare of a Child. She got a simple assault charge for punching my mom on her property. Being that she is on probation, will she get jail time? If so, how much? (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: Assuming she is convicted, she faces two possible sentences. One, is from the probation judge for violating his probation by committing a new crime. The second one would be for the new, simple assault crime. There are many factors that the judge on the new case must consider in fashioning a sentence for a defendant. There are the sentencing guidelines which consider her prior criminal history and offense gravity score, how bad was her criminality in the probation case (what type of harm did she cause to a child), how bad was her criminality in the new case, was she on her own property or on your mom’s, did mom provoke her, etc., how long was she on probation until this episode happened with your mom, did your mom have injuries? She could get some time in the county jail, or she could get probation. As to the probation judge, he considers many factors as well, but mostly how she complied with his probation. By punching someone on his probation, he will be disappointed. My advice is to ask her attorney.

Can the guy get charged for statutory rape?

Q: A friend of mine’s daughter, age 15, was dating a 20-year-old. My friend did know about the relationship and was okay with it. Her daughter got pregnant with this gentleman. Now the thing is, she’s afraid since CYF became recently involved with them, they will take her daughter away who is now 16 and press charges on the gentleman who is now 21. Can he be charged with statutory rape even if the relationship was Allowed by her mother?

A: Yes, I am afraid that is a violation of the law. At a minimum, he can be charged with Statutory Sexual Assault and Corruption of Minors. Children, Youth and Families cannot press criminal charges but can refer the matter to police who will interview her and decide whether to file. Additionally, if your friend, the parent of the girl was “okay with it”, and the police find out, he can be charged with Endangering the Welfare of Children, commonly known as EWOC in the trade.