Whom should I contact regarding a civil judgment?

Q: My ex-husband signed for a summons for me in 2012, but never told me. I did not respond due to being unaware, and a judgment in the amount of $1094 was placed against me for a credit card debt in May 2012. He received the notice of judgment, but again, never gave me the papers or even told me about it. I just found out about this, and I don’t know who to contact to arrange payments. Should I contact the attorney who sued me? And is it likely they’ll accept payments, because I cannot pay the amount in full at this time? (Jefferson Hills, PA)

A: That is unfortunate. If the judgment was already taken, your options are few as far as legal remedies go. You likely would have to pay an attorney to file a petition to open the default judgment. This can be done but the legal fees involved will likely exceed $1,094.00. If you owe the money your best bet would be to contact the attorney who filed the complaint and work out a payment plan. Beware of interest and legal fees tacked on. If you explain what happened, he or she may reduce the amount added on to the judgment. Good luck.


If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.