A friend was cited for urinating in the woods at a concert

Q: Our friend couldn’t hold it anymore. No bathrooms were available anywhere He hid in the woods far from anyone. He was not intoxicated and was respectful but was cited. Should he plead not guilty, no contest or ask for ARD? What should they do when they go to the magistrate’s office? (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: Take a toothbrush and pray for mercy. No, just kidding. Advise him to plead not guilty. It is a summary offense but will stay on their record for five years if they are found guilty. I wouldn’t rely on the District Justice dismissing or the police officer withdrawing the citation, although they may. Tell them to hire an attorney if possible, they will have a better chance.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.