Can I get a public defender to help me with a warrant?

Q: I have a warrant for a simple assault charge. I have a court date coming up. I also want to get a public defender for my court date and to help squash warrant. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: Public Defender’s in Allegheny County do not deal with warrant issues. It is not deemed a critical stage of prosecution. However, you can obtain a Public Defender to represent you on the new charges at the Preliminary Hearing stage. You will need to go to Room 400 of the County Office Building and sign up. You will be appointed counsel if you qualify-meaning if your income is at a certain level.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.