Can I get probation for being caught while driving with a suspended license?

Q: I haven’t been driving. My kid goes to a friend’s house sometimes while I sleep for work. She called me saying he was vomiting and no one could get out of work early to drive him. I decided to get him to take him to the emergency room. I got caught speeding. Now I must go to court and it says prison/house arrest. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A:  It depends. If it is a DUI related suspension, you are subject to a $500 fine, 60 days in jail and a one-year license suspension, for a first-time offense under 1543 b. If it is a non-DUI related offense, 1543 a, you are subject to a $200 fine, no jail and a year license suspension. Take your papers to a criminal defense lawyer. He or she may be able to bargain it down to a less severe offense or at least get your prison sentence served on house arrest electronic monitoring.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.