Can I move from Pittsburgh with my daughter?

Q: My kid’s dad pays child support. We have no custody agreement through the courts though. His name is not on her birth certificate. What should I do if I need to move to be closer to my family or to move for better work opportunities? (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: There is a statute on relocation that needs to be followed. Notice must be provided. If you just pack up and leave with the child, the father can file an emergency motion and obtain a contempt order. I would consult with a child custody attorney before planning such move.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.