Can this lawyer really do this to me?

Q: I’ve been trying to get this lawyer to take her name off of my case since November. They have been charging ever since, even the time spent in telling them they are fired. I now have a court hearing with the judge next Tuesday to do this. Today, I get this letter in the email saying effective January 1st  they are raising all their prices. This cannot be legal.

A:  The attorney has to file a Praecipe to Withdraw his or her appearance to officially be off the case. In some matters, like in Orphan’s Court or Criminal Court, the courts not only require a Praecipe to Withdraw from the old attorney, but require a Praecipe to Enter Appearance by the new attorney. Since I have no idea what type of case this is, I am not sure the judge needs to approve or sign off on the withdrawal. I am not sure what the hearing before the judge is about but perhaps at that time, the judge will let your attorney to withdraw her appearance. I would send a certified letter to the attorney stating that you no longer need their services as of the date you originally told them. If they sue you for services performed after you fired them, you can use your letter as a defense.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.