Do we need a lawyer? My husband has dementia.

Q: My ex husband has dementia, cancer and emphysema. He is in a nursing home, temporarily. My two daughters who will oversee him are both disabled and really need advice on what to do. Do they need a lawyer? They are overwhelmed and don’t know what to do. Thank you.

A: You should speak with an elder law estate attorney immediately. You may need to find another POA or Guardianship Petition, other than your children. If you cannot find such person or another family member or trusted friend, the court can appoint an agency to do this. You really need to discuss these options and other concerns, such as Medicaid, with an experienced estate attorney.


If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.