Can PennDOT do this?

Q: Did not send in my PA license after a DUI in Maryland. Had no idea it I was required to until I received a letter from PennDOT. Stated today PennDOT has sent numerous letters to my home requesting my license to be sent in. I was living in Baltimore at the time and they had sent the letters to my mother’s house in Pennsylvania that was sold four years prior. In addition to sending the letters to someone else is home my mother had passed away in the meantime. Now PA Is requiring 4 more months of suspension which would make it one year from the incident. In addition to that they are requiring I have installed in ignition device for an additional year. At that time of the incident I was traveling to and from Baltimore Maryland to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania as part of my job responsibilities as a project manager for a construction company with various projects in both states. This coming week I served my one year suspension.

A:  Fighting PennDOT is tough. All the rules are against you. PennDOT will argue that you had a legal duty to change your address with the Post Office and to notify PennDOT of the address change. Obtain your driver’s license and restoration letter from PennDOT-you can call them or go on-line. Review the facts and the documents with an attorney to see if it is worth filing a motion Nunc Pro Tunc (for late appeal) to address any of the issues. If you do have to send your driver’s license in to PennDOT, follow the procedures on their website (with DL Form and restoration fee enclosed) by certified mail, return receipt.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.