Can POA withdraw money from his accounts?

Q: My 92-year-old roommate’s son has become gravely ill. A week or two after the onset of his illness the daughter had him signing all kinds of forms. She froze his bank accounts and I believe she has moved all of money to a bank in her city. (Oil City, PA)

A: I am thinking that you are asking if your 92-year-old roommate’s daughter can move or transfer the son’s money. She can do so if he was competent when he signed “…all kinds of forms…” and one of those forms was a legal general durable power of attorney which authorizes her to do such acts. If you feel this is not the case and he may be the victim of elder abuse, call the local Department of Aging and ask them to visit and talk to him.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.