Can I suppress a statement in juvenile court?

Q: Can I suppress a statement in juvenile court? When I first got arrested I was being tried as an adult and my miranda rights were violated when they questioned me and I incriminated myself.They ended up sending me to juvenile court because of a plea but looking at the evidence, I see I can beat this case because the only evidence against me is the statement.

A: The same constitutional rights that apply in adult court apply in juvenile court. Review the case with an attorney. If he or she feels it is advisable, he or she will file a suppression motion and challenge the legality of the statement you allegedly gave. If the statement is in fact the only evidence against you, you may have a Habeas Corpus defense or a cognizable suppression issue. Either, could conceivably lead to the case being dismissed or withdrawn.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.