Do I have any custody or visitation right as an aunt?

Q: My husband and I have been in his life since birth up to a little over a year ago when his mother took all visitation away. I supported him with diapers and cloths and wipes and we had him all the time. We love him, we taught him to swim gave him lesson we put him in early classes to learn to play with other kids! She got a boyfriend now so there are no visits. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: Generally, grandparent have not right, or “standing” as they call it, to visitation or custody. However, you may benefit from recent amendments to the custody statute found in 23 PA CS Section 5324 based on your lengthy past relationship with the child. I would consult with a family law attorney to see if it would be worth filing a petition for custody or visitation standing.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.