What documentation do I need to obtain a Short Certificate?

Q: Both of my parents have recently passed. first my mother, then my father within an eleven-day span. I am the executor of the will and want to proceed in filing out whatever forms need to be filed and to carry out the will. I just need to know exactly what information to take to the courts to obtain the short certificate and be named legal executor. The only assets that my parents have left is a bank account with about $3000 in it as they were both in an assisted living facility before there death. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: If there is only one asset as you mention, and it is in your parent’s name, you will not have to open an estate. Per statute, the bank can release less than $10,000.00 to certain next of kin if a paid funeral receipt is produced. There will be inheritance tax owed. Also, you need to be aware that if your parents received Medicaid, this money may not be free and clear to disburse. If this matter is a simple as you state, an attorney can assist you in getting the money and prepare an inheritance tax for you at a modest fee.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.