First offense, no criminal record, am I going to jail?

Q: I called the Attorney General’s office yesterday and was told it looks good on my behalf that I’m already making payments towards case. I don’t want to go to jail. I do not have a criminal record, and I honestly do not remember receiving LI-HEAP energy assistance. I honestly do not remember but I believe I was getting child support at that time! However, I do not honestly recall Wesley living here in 2015 or 2016. I believe at the time he was living with his then girlfriend in Maryland but am not sure. I do suffer from ADD and am taking medication for it. (Everett, PA)

A: I do not practice law in your county. In my county people generally do not go to jail for welfare fraud or similar crimes unless the case involves a lot of money and the behavior is indicative of true criminal intent. You need to be represented by an attorney. You may be eligible for a first-time offender’s program called ARD, especially if you can make payments within the limits of your probationary period.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.