Q. I am an education major in PA and I received a citation for drunk in public, should I fight it? Will this show on my record. I was walking down the street at my college campus and an undercover cop pulled up and asked if I was okay then I was given a breathalyzer test and eventually taken me to my dorm where a friend signed a release form. They hand cuffed me but never read me my rights. Next, I have to contact the magisterial district court. I was wondering if I should bring a lawyer to court?

A. You need an attorney to help you avoid a conviction, one way or the other. A conviction of this seemingly harmless summary offense will stay on your record for 5 years. At that point you can pay an attorney to expunge it. In addition, if you are a minor, there will be a driver’s license suspension. There may be first offenders options for students like you and an attorney will know how to access them.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.