How can I change an address on a durable POA?

Q: In 1988, while living in Pittsburgh, my wife and I had durable powers of attorney created. Nothing has changed except we now live in Florida. How can I update the addresses? (Swissvale, PA)

A: Powers of Attorneys are state specific. Many states require a POA to strictly comply with state law. If it does not, the POA can be rejected by anyone to whom it is presented, such as a banks or medical provider. I would have new estate planning documents drafted by a FLA attorney.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.