How do I get power of attorney for my grandfather who is currently in a different state?

Q: My grandfather is currently in a different state (Ohio) and I’m in PA) at a physical rehabilitation facility and they are pressuring him to sign a contract for long term care. He doesn’t want to do this, but his daughter (my mother) does not want him to live at home with her. I am willing to take on care for him and move him in with me, but I want to make sure I do everything legally. He is mentally present with no dementia but does need constant care and handicapped accessible housing. I can provide both. What steps do I need to take? (Robinson Twp., PA)

A: If you want to be his caretaker and your motives are pure, that is commendable. If your grandfather is competent, he can sign himself out of rehab and move out of state with you, if that is what he wants to do. He is free to make his own decisions and live with whom he wishes. If the situation is more complicated, I advise that you contact an attorney where your grandfather lives and set up a meeting with you and your grandfather. The attorney can assess your grandfather’s competency and his willingness to go with you. If needed and appropriate, a Power of Attorney can be executed which would give you authority to manage your grandfather’s affairs if or when, he is unable to do so. If needed you can discharge him from the rehab with the POA. Once in NC, you should consult with a lawyer there to have state specific documents drafted for going forward.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.