If my mother is in a memory care unit is she competent to give a power of attorney?

Q: Mother’s memory has deteriorated to the point where she must reside in an Alzheimer’s care unit. Does she still have the legal capacity to grant a power of attorney or to consent to a formal guardianship? Who determines competency if there is a dispute among siblings?

A: A person must be mentally competent to sign a Power of Attorney or to consent to any document or in any legal proceeding. If she is in an Alzheimer’s unit, one would think her competency is compromised. I think you need to consult with her doctor as to the level of her competency. If she has basic competency, even with an Alzheimer’s diagnosis, she may be able to sing a Power of Attorney.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.