If I move from PA to WVA, can I sell my home?


Q: If I receive SSI and Medicaid in Texas and want to sell my home in Clairton and move to West Virginia, can I spend the money outside of PA? I was told after my husband died that if I sold my home I had to spend the money in PA.

A: You really need to have an attorney review your entire situation. Although a federal program, every state has different rules for Medicaid. You will need to qualify for Medicaid in WVA. You will need to report the home sale to Medicaid wherever you live. I am not sure if you or your husband are receiving SSI based on your question so again, please meet an attorney in WVA, assuming you are moving there.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.