I obtained a judgment in court, when do I get paid?

Q: I won a judgement in local court but the defendant has not paid. What can I do next to recieve payment? (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: In Pennsylvania, you can ask the magistrate’s office for forms to complete, so you can “execute” the judgment on the defendant’s property. The constable will then proceed to the defendant’s home and levy his or her property for sale. The defendant will then have to file objections to the levy for property that happens to be exempt from a judgment. This will cost you money and time. I would review it with a lawyer first to determine if this person has personal or real property that will make going through all of your effort worthwhile.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.