Tag Archives: STATEMENT

What do I do? A detective shows up at my door harassing me?

Q: A certain detective came to my house and pounded on the door until I came out. He talked about me being in a certain place and kept saying I knew why he was there and “don’t bullshit me!” I told him to get a warrant and get off my property. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: It may mean that he has no evidence, or not enough evidence and by getting you supply the details, he will have enough evidence to arrest and maybe convict you. For example, if you say something like, “yeah, I was there, but I didn’t do anything”, that puts you at the scene which he may have not known or can only establish through some sketchy witness. Now, you have admitted to being at the scene, and he has enough to arrest you. So, the advice of most attorneys would be to say nothing and hire an attorney. You have a 5th Amendment right to not incriminate yourself.


Q: Can I be charged for something I did not do and have idea who did? A cop came to my house a couple days ago and said he was investigating an incident that happened over a year ago at a department store where sleeping bags and air mattresses were taken. He advised an employee saw someone stuffing items in a car and said it was my license plate. I have never stolen anything and he said they will check video footage to see if it was me. I said if they had video wouldn’t he have looked at it first before accusing me? And, I don’t understand why it’s been over a year and now they are questioning me about an incident that I had nothing to do with. Will I have to go to court for this. It bothers me because if it was something so serious wouldn’t they have approached me when it first happened?

A: Yes, people do get charged for crimes they didn’t commit. It does happen. If you are truly innocent, the police officer may have been given bad information and is just fishing for evidence by talking to you and others. Do not make any statements to the police or anyone else, or let them search your car or home. If they continue to contact you, hire a lawyer.