Can I have a felony warrant for a traffic accident with injury under suspended license?

Q: I was recently involved in a traffic accident involving injury while under suspended license. I was free to leave the scene. I have received the police report and that’s it. My father received a phone call from the sheriff looking for me with a felony warrant. Why is this and what steps should I take? (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: Because your actions arise to felony charges in PA. To be charged with a Felony 1 in these leaving the scene of an accident cases, there needs to be serious bodily injury. The police often charge this if there is just bodily injury, because it is not known at the time they file the charges if the victim has incurred serious bodily injury or not.
3742. Accidents involving death or personal injury.
(a) General rule.–The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury or death of any person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close thereto as possible but shall then forthwith return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of the accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of section 3744(relating to duty to give information and render aid). Every stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.
(b) Penalties. —
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
Also, if you are operating a motor vehicle and have an accident when you are not licensed, i.e., suspended, revoked, etc., you can be charged with a Felony 3.
Do not make statements to the police and get yourself an attorney.

What can I do?

Q: I have been charged with driving without a license. The problem is my younger brother and his girlfriend used my identification. I now have a warrant for my arrest and a fine to pay, My brother is currently in jail and his girlfriend lives in Washington, PA What can I do? (Bridgeville, PA)

A: Driving without a license or driving under a suspended license are summary offenses. I am surprised there is a warrant but will assume you are correct. I imagine there is a warrant for not showing at a hearing. If you missed a District Justice level hearing, you might call the District Justice Office and explain what happened. They may reschedule you. If not, they likely tell you to turn yourself in. Without knowing more, and assuming this is a summary offense, I don’t think you will go to jail when you turn yourself in to the DJ. However, you will decrease your chances of going to jail by working with an attorney.