If you are a minor can a probation officer watch you pee?

Q: I am on juvenile probation, and someone told me this is not allowed. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: If you are female and he is a male (or opposite sexes), it should not be happening. If you are the same sex and he or she is legitimately monitoring urine tests, it is allowed. If it goes beyond that, you need to report it. (Pittsburgh, PA)

What are consequences for using synthetic urine?

Q: My friend on parole and entered a re-entry program for work. She used synthetic urine for drug test. They sent it in to lab and now they say she failed drug test. She went in to program today they let her come home. Now they work with parole. Will they call parole and report that she failed urine? (Oil City, PA)

A: I have heard of synthetic marijuana and synthetic motor oil but have never heard of synthetic urine. It must be my age. I do not think his employer will divulge drug test results to the government without his signed release. It depends what he has signed, however. If he released this information, fake urine would be deemed a failed test.

I have a shy bladder. Will they still make me do urine screens?

Q: I’m on probation in PA and have a shy bladder that doesn’t allow me to give urine around people. Is there anything I can do? As I said I have a condition where I simply cannot urinate in presence of people. I understand this is an excuse given by many people who simply do not want to give a “hot” urine. This however is not my case. Legally, can they violate me for my condition? I really need some help. (Venetia, PA)

A: The Probation Officer, and even likely the court, will not believe you. You will need your doctor to put this condition of yours in writing. If your doctor does this and his opinion sounds credible to the court, perhaps an alternative can be offered for you. However, I must caution you, that I have clients and am around people who are ordered to be tested in Family Court and Criminal Court. I have never seen anyone get out of testing with this argument. Again, I think you will need a letter from a physician.