Can I write my ex, who was my co-defendant, if the case is closed?

Q: Me and my ex caught some serious charges of robbery and burglary. I got a lesser sentence because I did not enter the house. He got sentenced to state prison. Now that the case is closed am I able to write him at least? I am currently on two years-probation for this case. I have lots to tell him and I would like to write to him. (Clymer, PA)

A:  If it is not a condition of his or your probation to have no contact, you probably can. You may want to ask your attorney before you do so. If you state things in writing relating to the case that would be contrary to your prior sworn statements, it could open you up to criminal prosecution (i.e., False Statements to Law Enforcement or Perjury if you ever testified). Please remember, the mail is opened at the jail before he receives it.

If you feel like this issue relates to you, or a problem that you are experiencing, please contact me so that we can discuss your situation.