Tag Archives: EXPUNGE

How can I get a 27-year-old felony exhumed in Pennsylvania?

Q: I have a 27-year-old felony. I was charged with involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault from May 1991. How can I get out of this? (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: I think you are asking how to get this charge taken off you record which is called an expungement You cannot get it expunged since you were convicted, and it was a felony. Until the legislature allows expungements of felonies, you are stuck. When asked, perhaps you can put a favorable spin on it. You will need to file for a Pardon. Consult with an attorney who handles pardons.

Can I get a gun with my ARD DUI?

Q: I completed ARD for a DUI in 2010 but still owe fine, can I still get my gun permit? My fine is narrowing down to the last $1,000.00. I need a gun before the Democrats ban them. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A: You didn’t complete ARD if you didn’t pay off your fines. The Allegheny County DA will not close your case until you do. You need to pay your court costs and/or fines off and let the Allegheny County DA expunge your record. Once expunged you should be clear

Can I obtain a gun permit with a Simple Assault on my record?

Q: I have a domestic simple assault from Arnold, PA. I live in Oil City, PA now. Can get a handgun if this happened in 1995? I have not had any arrest or anything sense and never been in any other trouble in my life all but that one time. I want to get a hand gun for hunting but need to get past the background check and this simple assault is kind of holding me up. (Oil City, PA)

A:  If you were convicted, unless your simple assault was a mutual combat M3, you cannot get a license to carry nor can you own or possess guns. I would check to see if you were actually convicted by obtaining your criminal history from the PA State Police. If you were not convicted, the arrest record will be on file and may prevent a permit being issued to you or a gun being sold to you. If you were not convicted, you can expunge the arrest record and should have no problem obtaining a carry permit.